Order today – install tomorrow – use immediately: Whether for a private garden or football stadium, we roll your new lawn quickly, professionally, and affordably. In smaller areas, you can basically install your own turf. You can borrow the installation equipment from us, and of course we provide instruction.
Schwab rolled turf is vital, healthy and durable. It is just as appreciative of regular care and healthy nutrition as sown grass. That’s why we offer you a complete lawn nutrition programme and our lawn-related product assortment to the online shop.
Of all the questions regarding lawn problems we receive throughout the year, more than 95 % can be traced back to insufficient fertilisation. Only healthy soil with sufficient nutrients can provide a healthy, durable and vital lawn. For truly a beautiful lawn, fertilisation must take place 4 to 5 times per year.
After growth, lawns normally only require water once per week and the amount is approximately 15 – 20 litres per m² (equivalent to a heavy rain shower). The lawn may also require more water during hotter weather periods. Rest assured, you can also water during the day, because the so-called “burning effect” is only a myth.
You should mow your lawn at least once per week (with swath collection). When using robot mowers the swath can be left where it lies. An ideal cut height is approx. 4 to 5 cm (never less than 3.5 cm). Blooming on the grass is a sign that the blade of the mower must be sharpened (only on one side).
The innovative sandwich structure
A practice-oriented innovation from Schwab that frequently amazes garden owners is the sandwich structure. With this approach, the rolled turf is installed directly on the old lawn. This technique has been proven time and again in practice: Rolled turf with a sandwich structure has an appearance that is equal to or even better than conventionally installed turf.
Did you know?
Poa Annua (annual panicle) spreads vigorously in May and June. Follow our advice!
Year-round fungus, yet more prevalent in autumn and winter. We tell you what you can do!
Installation guide for rolled turf
Soil preparation before laying:
Deeply aerate to prevent soil wetness, finely and cleanly grade and pre-roll the installation surface, then add the base fertilisers with 50 g/m² Schwab Rollrasendünger and 50 g/m² Schwab Bodenstarter. Then perform a clean grading of the surface while gently working fertiliser into the upper soil layers and then roll again so that it is firm enough to walk on.
Order the turf so that the delivery takes place when you are finished with your soil preparation. Factor in a loss of approximately 5 % from cuttings.
Remove the packing film immediately after arrival, lay the rolled turf, roll it out and then water. By lifting a section of turf, check whether both the turf and approx. 5 cm of the soil are moist. If you are unable to install our rolled turf immediately, remove the rolls from the pallet and store them in a shaded location or in a cool room. The turf must be unrolled and watered if it is stored for longer than one day.
Lay the turf edge-to-edge without leaving gaps and cut off the protruding edges with a knife.
Mowing freshly laid rolled turf
Watering freshly laid rolled turf
Please water from the first day of installation, except during rainy weather. Depending on the temperature, water 5–8 litres/m² one or two times daily, which amounts to soil moisture penetration of 5 – 8 cm. By lifting up a section of the turf, you can see whether there is moisture penetration of the turf, and whether about 3 – 5 cm of the soil beneath it is also moist. However, you should still be able to walk on the turf. If there is too much water you will sink in and destroy the level surface; if there is too little water, irregular dry spots will form or the turf will with and will form gaps which no longer grow together later.
With cool and moist weather conditions, you can reduce the watering. About 10–14 days after the turf is installed, you will normally notice significant root development when you lift up an edge of the turf. If this is the case, you can slowly reduce the watering.
If the rolled turf has finally taken root, please water 1–2 times per week with 15 – 20 litres/m² during hot weather and dry periods.
Mowing freshly laid rolled turf
Mow your newly installed rolled turf within 5-8 days. With good care, Schwab rolled turf resumes growing immediately. The leaf growth is 0.5 – 1 cm per day.
Make sure that your mower has a sharp blade.
Do not mow below 3.5 cm. A cutting height of about 4–5 cm is better. In stadiums and on golf courses, somewhat shorter mowing is permitted with appropriate professional care. Mow at least once per week with swath collection. We do not recommend pure mulching mowers. However, when using robot mowers the swath can be left where it lies. Mowing for high-performance sport takes place 2 – 3 times per week.
Fertilising freshly laid rolled turf
Fertilise your rolled turf for the first time about 3–4 weeks after installation and then, depending on the soil quality, colour aspect, grain density or personal preference, every 6 – 8 weeks on a regular basis.
- for private gardens: 80 – 120 g/m2 Rollrasendünger®
- for sport facilities: 40 – 60 g/m2 Greenkeeper® slow-release fertiliser
With our fertilisers, you control the quality of your turf.
Colour fading, loose, thin grain and/or little swath indicate a nutrient deficiency.
The consequences are weed immigration and an unattractive appearance
A dark green colour and thick grain are indications of sufficient nutrients.
Care for newly installed rolled turf
Please treat your soil in the spring and autumn with 50 g/m2 Schwab Bodenstarter®. By doing so, you activate the self-reinforcing tendencies of your soil and can save on up to two turf fertilisations per year, depending on the soil quality. Schwab Bodenstarter® is organically produced on a rock flour basis and contains a number of natural trace elements, mycorrhiza cultures and nitrogen-collecting bacteria. As a result, your soil obtains enormous elementary forces. Health and vitality are promoted.
Care for newly installed rolled turf
- Lawns normally only require water once per week and the amount is approximately 15 - 20 litres per m². That is the equivalent of a heavy rain shower.
- Ideally, you should check the accumulated amount of water with a rain meter. The scale on the rain meter in mm water column corresponds to litres per m².
- During hot weather periods with temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius, the turf can also require more water and/or cooling may be beneficial. In this case, you can also water daily or multiple times per day.
- Also water during the day; the so-called "burning effect" is a myth.
- Mow at least once per week with swath collection
- Do not mow below 3.5 cm. An ideal cut height is approx. 4-5 cm
- Blooming on the grass is a sign that the blade of the mower must be sharpened
- Only sharpen one side (top) of the lawnmower blade - the oblique side must always face up and the flat side down
- When using robot mowers the swath can be left where it lies
- Do not scarify in private gardens! Nearly all lawn problems can be traced back to nutrient deficiency
- Scarifying injures the grass grain and leads to more weeds and an unsightly lawn
- Never scarify in months with "R", and in private gardens it is best to dispense with it altogether
- Extensive information about the scarifying myth
- 90% of all lawn problems can be traced back to insufficient fertilisation
- Really beautiful lawns need to be fertilised 4 - 5 times per year and cut at least once per week
- Moss is a sign of nitrogen deficiency; it indicates insufficient fertilisation or deficient nutrition
- The consequences of deficient nutrition are weed immigration and an unattractive appearance
- Fertilise in the shade and the root area of trees, shrubs or hedges more often than other surfaces
- Fertilise 4-5 times per year with Schwab Rollrasendünger and one additional time with Schwab Bodenstarter
- Check the pH-value in the top 3 cm of the grass grain on a regular basis. It should lie between 6.5 and 7.5
- Use Schwab Bodenstarter if the pH value is too low and Schwab Rollrasendünger is the pH value is too high
- Quick-dissolving fertilisers provide deep root formation of the lawn; the use of long-term fertilisers benefits rather poor, flat roots.
- Schwab Wurzelaktiv® and Schwab Blattaktiv® are two natural, homoeopathic treatments for the entire garden, for watering and for spraying
- The lawn absorbs the nutrients starting at a soil temperature of 8 degrees, although it only begins to grow at a soil temperature of 12 degrees
- After the winter the lawn needs nutrients because it depletes its reserves over the winter
- Fertilise during the first warm days in March; any frost after the fertilisation will not cause damage